Carb-lover and staunch believer in all issues moderately, I used to be extremely skeptical about no-noodle lasagna. Thus, it’s with out exaggeration that I inform you, this pasta-free Zucchini Lasagna is positively implausible!
In reality, I served it to our neighbors and casually didn’t point out that this recipe makes use of thinly sliced zucchini squash rather than the lasagna pasta noodles.
Gentle zucchini is a surprisingly good pasta stand-in when paired with sturdy sauces, just like the hearty Bolognese-ish sauce you’ll discover on this zucchini lasagna with meat, the contemporary tomato sauce in Zucchini Pasta, and the garlic on this Wholesome Shrimp Scampi with Zucchini Noodles.
The largest battle with making zucchini lasagna is to maintain it from turning into watery.
The identical methodology works for zucchini lasagna!
Preserve Your Zucchini Lasagna from Getting Soggy
Zucchini has a excessive water content material.
As a way to hold the zucchini lasagna from turning into watery, you have to draw out the water by broiling or grilling the zucchini first.
- Broil methodology: place the zucchini slices underneath the broiler for five to eight minutes, till browned.
- Grill methodology: grill the zucchini slices for two to three minutes per aspect.
Each strategies work properly, so select which is most handy.
You may also experiment with drawing water out of the zucchini by salting the slices, letting them sit for 10 minutes, then patting them dry, as a substitute of broiling or grilling it, although I discovered the outcomes have been combined.
For no-sog assured, broiling or grilling the zucchini noodles previous to layering is the most effective methodology.
A Mild However SATISFYING Recipe
To be clear—I love basic lasagna (I do have a pulse)—however it feels heavy through the summer season months.
In terms of protecting dinner on the lighter aspect whereas ensuring it’s loads satisfying, this low carb zucchini lasagna is the transfer!
Make Zucchini Lasagna
To make zucchini lasagna, you’ll put together and layer three predominant elements:
- A hearty tomato meat sauce. I take advantage of jarred pasta sauce to maintain this quick and simple.
- A creamy, tacky layer. Whereas much less conventional, I take advantage of cottage cheese rather than ricotta in lasagna. Cottage cheese wholesome and excessive in protein (be at liberty to make use of ricotta in the event you choose).
- Zucchini noodles. A mandoline is the easiest way to ensure they’re good and skinny.
And naturally, we’ll be including some gooey cheese for good measure.
- Zucchini. Swapping pasta noodles for sliced and cooked zucchini is a straightforward option to considerably decrease the carbs and energy on this basic consolation meals.
- Floor Beef. Full of protein and iron, floor beef makes the lasagna heartier and provides a scrumptious meaty taste.
- Marinara. I opted to make use of jarred marinara-style pasta sauce to assist make this recipe fast and simple. Select any sauce you get pleasure from.
- Cottage Cheese. Helps create the creamy, tacky layer and provides richness. Low-fat cottage cheese is a wholesome alternative, because it’s decrease in fats and energy and is excessive in protein.
- Frozen Spinach. Utilizing frozen, pre-chopped spinach within the cheese layer is a simple option to squeeze in additional veggies.
- Parmesan. This lasagna wouldn’t be full with out the addition of salty, crowd-pleasing Parmesan cheese.
- Egg. Helps bind the lasagna layers collectively and makes the cheese layer additional creamy.
- Mozzarella. A melty, dreamy mozzarella cheese lid is a trademark of any good lasagna.
- Contemporary Basil. A final touch of contemporary basil completely enhances the flavors within the lasagna.
- Trim and slice the zucchini. Prepare dinner with oil, salt, and pepper on the grill or underneath the broiler. Pat dry.
- Prepare dinner the meat with salt and oregano. Stir within the garlic.
- Stir within the sauce.
- Add the cottage cheese, Parmesan, egg, salt, pepper, and spinach to a bowl.
- Stir till mixed.
- In a casserole dish coated with nonstick spray, unfold half of the sauce on the underside. High the sauce with half of the zucchini.
- Add the entire cheese combination.
- Add one other layer of zucchini and sauce on prime.
- End with the mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake zucchini lasagna at 350 levels F for 20 minutes. High the lasagna with contemporary basil. Let relaxation, then DIG IN!
You might discover that this zucchini lasagna has fewer layers in comparison with conventional lasagnas. It is because as you pile on the zucchini, you improve the chance of the zucchini lasagna being watery. Two layers will provide you with tacky, saucy lasagna that isn’t soggy or watery.
- To Retailer. Refrigerate lasagna in an hermetic container for as much as 4 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F or within the microwave.
Meal Prep Tip
As much as 1 day prematurely, trim and slice the zucchini as directed. Put together the meat sauce layer and the cottage cheese layer. Refrigerate individually till you’re able to layer the lasagna.
Really helpful Instruments to Make this Recipe
The Finest Casserole Dish
This stunning, high-quality casserole dish is a worthwhile funding piece. It’s dishwasher secure too!
Zucchini lasagna is simply what tonight’s dinner (and your zucchini provide) ordered.
I hope you like it simply as a lot as we do!
Incessantly Requested Questions
When you’ve got contemporary spinach available that you simply’d like to make use of as a substitute, you may swap it right here. Saute it on the range first to attract out the additional moisture, then add to the recipe as directed.
Sure, you may swap the zucchini for summer season squash if that’s what you have got available. Or, use a combination.
Sadly, I don’t suggest freezing this recipe, because the zucchini will turn into very watery and mushy as soon as thawed.
- 3 medium/giant zucchini about 2 kilos
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper divided
- 1 pound lean floor beef or floor bison
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (24-ounce) can ready marinara-style pasta sauce (I like DeLallo or Rao’s)
- 1 (16-ounce) container low-fat cottage cheese or half skim ricotta cheese
- 1 (10-ounce) bundle frozen chopped spinach thawed with extra water squeezed out
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan divided
- 1 giant egg
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese or a mix of mozzarella and provolone
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced contemporary basil
Prepare dinner the zucchini: Trim off the ends of the zucchini (no have to peel). Slice lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick planks (a mandolin is the easiest way to do that). It is best to have about 6 to eight slices per zucchini. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss to coat the slices evenly.
GRILL METHOD: Preheat an out of doors grill or indoor grill pan to medium. Frivolously coat the grill with canola oil, then grill the zucchini till cooked and evenly brown, about 2 to three minutes per aspect. BROIL METHOD: Place the highest oven rack about 5 inches from the higher warmth aspect. Set the oven to broil. Divide the zucchini between two baking sheets, laying the slices in a single layer so they aren’t touching. (Don’t line the baking sheet pans with parchment, because the paper will burn.) Broil the primary sheet pan for five to eight minutes, or till the zucchini slices are evenly browned. Repeat with the second sheet pan. As soon as the zucchini is broiled or grilled, let cool barely, then gently pat dry to take away extra moisture. Flip the oven to 350 levels F.
In a big skillet warmth the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high warmth. Add the meat, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and oregano. Prepare dinner, breaking up the meat, till it’s browned and cooked via, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir within the garlic and let cook dinner 30 seconds.
Take away the pan from the warmth. Add the pasta sauce and stir to mix.
In a big bowl, mix the cottage cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan, egg, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, mixing properly.
Stir within the spinach, utilizing a fork to interrupt it up and distribute it as evenly with the cottage cheese combination as attainable.
Coat a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray. Unfold half of the sauce onto the underside of the dish in an excellent layer. Prepare half of the zucchini slices excessive, overlapping them barely as wanted.
High the zucchini slices with the entire cheese combination.
High with the remaining zucchini, then the remaining sauce.
Sprinkle evenly with the mozzarella and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Bake the zucchini lasagna for 20 minutes, till the cheese is melted and the lasagna is sizzling and bubbly. Take away from the oven and sprinkle with contemporary basil. Let relaxation 5 to 10 minutes, then serve.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate lasagna in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F or within the microwave.
Serving: 1(of 6)Energy: 401kcalCarbohydrates: 15gProtein: 37gFats: 22gSaturated Fats: 8gPolyunsaturated Fats: 2gMonounsaturated Fats: 10gTrans Fats: 0.5gLdl cholesterol: 97mgPotassium: 1111mgFiber: 4gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 6510IUVitamin C: 29mgCalcium: 405mgIron: 5mg
Be a part of at present and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.